The Roselle Historical Museum - 102 S. Prospect Street in Roselle.
The Museum Campus is open every Sunday from 2-4 in the afternoon and other times by appointment. If you
would like to visit at a time other than Sunday, call the Museum office at 630-351-5300 at any time. A volunteer
will be happy to accommodate you.
"Our mission is to maintain and enhance a historically accurate museum with primary focus on Roselle and
surrounding areas. To collect local artifacts of yesterday and today that will be our village history and pride
tomorrow. To provide a dynamic historical and educational resource for our residents and visitors."
The house was built circa 1880 for Henry A. Sumner, the first train master . Only a few families have lived in
the house since then, the last being the Donald Thomas family. The Village of Roselle purchased the
building from the family, and the Roselle Historical Foundation (formerly the Roselle Historical Society)
began to turn the home into an historical museum. The museum doors opened in 1988. Since then, the
Foundation has provided the community with a journey through Roselle’s history, featuring permanent and
changing exhibits, programs, and activities.
The Richter House was built in 1878 and stood at 27 S. Prospect Street until June 1996. The house was then
relocated to the rear of the Museum Campus to provide space for our new Village Hall. The Richters bought
the house during the 1920s. Malinda remained in her home, even after its relocation, until her death in
November 1999, when she was 105 years of age. With Mrs. Richter’s blessing, Foundation members
restored the house to represent a Roselle working man’s home during the 1920s. Approximately 85 percent
of the artifacts in the house belonged to Mrs. Richter. The rest of the house is completed with items from the
Coach House/Foundation Office
The Coach House, now located on the Elm Street side of the Museum Campus, is the home of the
Foundation office. The building was originally located at the rear of the Hattendorf house, which until the
1970s, stood on Irving Park Road between Prospect and Park Streets—the property is now Harris Bank
Roselle. The Coach House was relocated to the Museum Campus in the early 1990s.